Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Be still my fluttering heart

Last Saturday the Minnesota Opera presented the second show of the season, 'Casanova's Homecoming'. A newer opera, written about 25 years ago by local composer Dominick Argento, this was one of the more hilarious, clever shows I've seen.
Musically, I'll admit to a below average level of understanding. This opera doesn't have the usual signature, melodic arias and I base my good opinion principally on the fact that Beverly Sills loved it. After hearing maestro Vordoni comment on the complicated, challenging music I paid close attention to the orchestra and noticed some really beautiful melodies I would have otherwise missed.
As I mentioned the show is quite funny, full of the type of humor one might expect from a story of the legendary womanizer. After the opera, I loved seeing the composer come on stage for bows. Call me old-fashioned if you will, but my neither of my grandfathers ever made a joke about the 'thrust' of a battleship or an 'erect' soldier.

No comments:

Post a Comment