Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sticky Sushi

One weekend my friend Kathryn and I tried making sushi.  An honest evaluation of the ingredient scavenger hunt, messy rice, and semi-presentable result would probably conclude the endeavor was unwarranted for someone who is satisfied with sushi that comes in a plastic container from a gas station.

Surprising issue: sushi ingredients are impossible to find.  Trader Joe's or the local co-op, one might assume, would have seaweed wraps.  Nothing could be less true.  Not one sushi ingredient was located at Trader Joe's or the local co-op. 




Also, sushi rice is infuriatingly sticky.  I have reservations about eating sushi again due to concerns about its digestibility. 






Best decision: watching a sushi making video which demystified ingredient placement and rolling technique.


Doth my eyes deceive me?  This is almost the type of picture a foodie blog would feature to chronicle steps in the sushi making process.



Lesson learned: did not realize wasabi is included inside the sushi roll and is not just an optional side.


Moderate success!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about giving this a go, but after reading your struggle, I will admit to being a little nervous. Maybe I'll just pay a few extra bucks for someone else to make it.

    ReplyDelete